All reservations are subject to any travel restrictions mandated by State of Maine. Please review Certificate of Compliance prior to booking.
Designed to promote guest safety and enjoyment of our fine properties!
We spend as much time as possible on the phone and in the exchange of emails with each potential guest in order to ensure that we have completely and accurately portrayed our properties. We strive to match guests with the property that best suits their needs and desires.
In order to best serve our guests, we do have some general and specific policies to which we must adhere. We encourage you to review these carefully and call to our attention any concerns you may have before placing a reservation.
General Rental Policies
1) We limit overnight and daytime occupancy of each property based on owner wishes, well and septic system considerations, beds/bedrooms and safety. We require that our guests strictly adhere to our occupancy limits for their own sake and for the sake of the property’s infrastructure.
2) We are concerned about the safety and security of all guests, especially children and those of lesser mobility. Please call or email us to discuss any concerns about mobility or safety. Our staff will be pleased to help you with these issues.
3) All properties are supplied with pillows and blankets or comforters, but they do not come with sheets and towels. You have the option to either bring your own or rent our linen service. This service provides [premium bed sheets and towel sets for the maximum number of guests allowed, bath mats and kitchen towels. Towel sets consist of a bath towel, hand towel and face cloth, you have the option rent more towel sets if needed. The linens are provided by Pratt Abbott, and are professionally cleaned and sanitized between use. Linens will delivered to the property prior to check-in, and left in their packaging. Beds will not be made in advance. We hope the peace of mind gained by knowing linens are received in sterilized condition will outweigh the inconvenience of having to make beds upon arrival.
4) Cell phone coverage in this area is spotty. Many of our properties have land lines, but long-distance calls are blocked. If you need to be able to make long-distance calls during your stay, you may wish to arrange for a phone card.
5) We make every effort to ensure that the property you have rented is exactly as described on our website and in other advertising media. This being real life, however, things do break or stop working. While we will do everything possible to overcome any difficulties you may experience during your stay, we do not cancel a reservation due to non-safety-related repair and maintenance issues, nor do we refund any or all monies as compensation for such issues.
6) All reservations are subject to owner withdrawal of the property, changes in the Maine Lodging Tax (currently 9%), changes in Maine sales and use tax requirements. All reservations will be charged a processing fee of 9% of the total rent amount and a trash removal and dump fee ($29-$49). Rare though it may be, occasionally an owner will suddenly withdraw a property. In that case, we will make every effort to replace the reserved property with another acceptable property. Should the replacement property be found unacceptable to our displaced guest, we will refund all monies paid. We are not liable for anything over and above monies paid, and we are not responsible for placing a guest in a replacement property that is not ours.
7) Many of our properties have cable, satellite TV, internet, wireless internet, telephone or other services. We cannot guarantee that the services are always working, as there are sometimes interruptions beyond our control. We will not refund any money for interruptions.
Specific Rental Policies
1) During our Peak Season (last week in June to first week of Septemer), the majority of our rentals run from Saturday to Saturday. We are now offering a select few properties on a weekly basis, from Friday to Friday, and some that can be rented for a minimum of 5 nights. Many properties can be rented in the Spring and Fall and the check-in days are more flexible. Please call or email us for details regarding Off-Season rentals.
2) Check-in is at 4:00 PM* at the property (*updated 12/3/20) New cleaning and sanitization protocols will require additional time to prepare a cottage between occupancies, so we have adjusted our times for arrivals and departures accordingly. Early check-ins will not be possible for those properties with same-day turnovers. In an effort to minimize contact during this pandemic, all check-ins will be done remotely.
3) Check-out is no later than 10:00 AM* (*updated 12/3/20). New cleaning and sanitization protocols will require additional time to prepare a cottage between occupancies, so we have adjusted our times for arrivals and departures accordingly. We appreciate your cooperation in making sure your departure is done in a timely manner so that our cleaners can safely work to prepare the property for incoming guests. Guests will be subject to a charge of $50 per every 15 minutes they are at the property past 10:00 AM (unless they have otherwise scheduled late check-out with MaineStay Vacations) and this fee will be charged to their card on file.
4) We require a down payment of 50% of the cost of the reservation at the time the reservation is booked. The remaining 50% is due 30 days prior to your check-in date. For your convenience, we accept credit cards (VISA, MasterCard and Discover), cash, checks, traveler’s checks and money orders.
5) Every reservation is subject to a Damage Waiver of $69 (non-refundable). This Damage Waiver is a mandatory, non-refundable fee providing coverage for up to $1000 of accidental/non-negligent damage to the property reported to MaineStay Vacations during the Renter's stay. Upon arrival at the premises, Renter shall check the cottage for cleanliness or damage and shall notify the Manager of any problems. Renter also agrees to report any and all accidental/non-negligent damage during stay. This damage waiver is in place of a security deposit. Should negligent/purposeful damage or accidental/non-negligent damage of over $1000 be found after Renter's stay, Renter will be held responsible for damage exceeding $1000 and Manager shall itemize these problems and contact Renter immediately. The charges will be withheld from the credit card on file and Manager will deliver a copy of the itemized list to Renter.
6) We understand that emergencies arise which may prevent you from keeping a reservation, but we ask that you consider all options, including rescheduling, prior to requesting a cancellation. Our company incurs expenses for every reservation we process, and unfortunately we are not able to recoup all of them when a reservation is cancelled. Our cancellation policy is structured to protect our small business, as well as the homeowners we represent. Should you have an emergency that prevents you from honoring the reservation, we will work with you to try to rent the same period to someone else. Please call or email us to discuss how this works and what, if any, refund of monies may be possible. Our full cancellation policy is as follows:
Guests who cancel at least 60 days before check-in will be refunded 100% of the amount paid, less the processing fee to cover administrative costs associated with their reservation and cancellation. If cancelled between 30 and 60 days before check-in, guests will be refunded 50%, less the processing fee. Otherwise, guests will not receive a refund unless the dates can be re-rented, in which case we will refund 100% of the amount paid, less the processing fee. Should you or someone in your party contract COVID-19 or The State of Maine restricts travelers from the state in which you live, we will return 100% of the amount paid, less the processing fee.
7) All rental properties are smoke-free. If there is evidence that smoking has occurred inside the premises, the security deposit will be “taken” (credit card reservations) or kept (all non-credit card reservations) in the amount necessary to remove all traces of smoke and odor.
8) We have a large selection of Pet Friendly properties. We must be informed about and approve the pet(s) in advance. Due to owners personal choice and family allergies there are some properties that pets are not allowed without exception. Please call or email us for additional information about pets and pet fees. In the event that pet is brought to a property without notifying MaineStay Vacations the entire security deposit will be forfeited. If your pet is approved to stay at one our our properties, all pets are required to have flea treatment before arrival. Due to the possible stress and anxiety, pets are not allowed to be left alone in properties unless they are crated. Pets are not allowed on furniture in any of our properties. According to local ordinance, dogs are not allowed to be off the premises without a leash. They can be off the leash on the property but must respond to voice command of its owner. Please respect our neighbors by not allowing your pet to go onto other properties. It is the responsibility of the person who reserved the property to insure that the pet waste has been removed before it is vacated.
9) Fireworks are not allowed at any of our properties at any time. Please refer to the Town of Harpswell ordinance page. http://www.harpswell.maine.gov/
10) All of our properties are on private wells and depending on the amount rain or where the property is, the water can have a discoloration or slight odor, therefore we strongly encourage you to bring bottled water. For specific information regarding the drinking water at each property, please contact MaineStay Vacations.
What you need to bring to our vacation properties:
- Drink and bottled water.
- We do not provide dish soap, sponges, inside trash bags, paper goods and toiletries. Some items are left by previous renters and can be used. We recommend checking the property when you arrive and then you can grab these items at your local store.
- Linens (see description above) if you did not rent our service.
- Beach Towels
- For properties with Washer/Dryer and Dishwashers you will need to bring detergent. HE is preferred because of our septic systems. Typically there is some left from previous renters, you may want to wait until you get here to buy if needed.
- Toilet Paper and Paper Towels, although we do give a complimentary roll of each at check in.
- Beach Chairs- we do not require owners to provide these.
Propane tanks are filled at the beginning of the season by owners. If you empty one, please be courteous and refill it. Submit your receipt to use by text or email and we will reimburse you for it. PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE EMPTY PROPANE TANKS FOR THE NEXT GUEST.
While you are here:
Sometimes the power goes out. This could be for many reasons, such as a squirrel got into a transformer, a tree blew down on wires, a lightning strike, or windy conditions. Regardless, there is no difference between when the power goes out back in your own home, or your vacation home when it comes to determining why. Calling us to inquire about the power outage will not bring the power back, but feel free to let us know. Please either refer to the Central Maine Power outage http://www.cmpco.com/ which lists town by town, street by street - all current outages in the State, or call them at 1-800-696-1000. We will have no additional information, or estimated time of repair. From our experience, we do know that CMP is very quick to attend to issues in the order of magnitude.