Designed to promote guest safety and enjoyment of our fine properties!
We spend as much time as possible on the phone and in the exchange of emails with each potential guest in order to ensure that we have completely and accurately portrayed our properties. We strive to match guests with the property that best suits their needs and desires.
In order to best serve our guests, we do have some general and specific policies to which we must adhere. We encourage you to review these carefully and call to our attention any concerns you may have before placing a reservation.
General Rental Policies
1) We limit overnight and daytime occupancy of each property based on owner wishes, well and septic system considerations, beds/bedrooms and safety. We require that our guests strictly adhere to our occupancy limits for their own sake and for the sake of the property’s infrastructure.
2) We are concerned about the safety and security of all guests, especially children and those of lesser mobility. Please call or email us to discuss any concerns about mobility or safety. Our staff will be pleased to help you with these issues.
3) All properties are supplied with pillows and blankets or comforters, they do not come with sheets and towels. You have the option to either bring your own or rent our linen service. This service provides bed sheets, towel sets for the maximum number of guests allowed, bath mats and kitchen towels. Towel sets consist of a bath towel, hand towel and face cloth, you have the option rent more towel sets if needed. The linens are professionally cleaned and sanitized between use. Linens will be provided to you when you check in at our office.
4) Cell phone coverage in this area is spotty. Many of our properties have land lines, but long-distance calls are blocked. If you need to be able to make long-distance calls during your stay, you may wish to arrange for a phone card.
5) We make every effort to ensure that the property you have rented is exactly as described on our website and in other advertising media. This being real life, however, things do break or stop working. While we will do everything possible to overcome any difficulties you may experience during your stay, we do not cancel a reservation due to non-safety-related repair and maintenance issues, nor do we refund any or all monies as compensation for such issues.
6) All reservations are subject to owner withdrawal of the property, changes in the Maine Lodging Tax (currently 9%), changes in Maine sales and use tax requirements. All reservations will be charged a processing fee of 8% of the total rent amount and a trash removal and dump fee ($25-$35). Rare though it may be, occasionally an owner will suddenly withdraw a property. In that case, we will make every effort to replace the reserved property with another acceptable property. Should the replacement property be found unacceptable to our displaced guest, we will refund all monies paid. We are not liable for anything over and above monies paid, and we are not responsible for placing a guest in a replacement property that is not ours.
7) Many of our properties have cable, satellite TV, internet, wireless internet, telephone or other services. We cannot guarantee the services are always working. There are sometimes interruptions beyond our control. We will not refund any money for interruptions.
Specific Rental Policies
1) During our Peak Season (last week in June to first week of Septemer), rentals run from Saturday to Saturday. Many properties can be rented in the Spring and Fall and the check-in days are more flexible. Please call or email us for details regarding Off-Season rentals.
2) Check-in is at 4:00 PM. If you are unable to check-in to your rental at this time, please let us know at least 48 hours in advance of your check-in time and date. If you experience a delay in transit, please make every effort to let us know so that we can accommodate your needs.
3) Check-out is no later than 10:00 AM. We ask that you adhere strictly to this check-out time as we must have time for cleaning between your check-out and the next guest’s check-in. Guests will be subject to a charge of $50 per every 15 minutes they are at the property past 10:00 AM (unless they have otherwise scheduled late check-out with MaineStay Vacations) and this fee will be charged to their card on file.
4) We require a down payment of 50% of the cost of the reservation at the time the reservation is booked. The remaining 50% is due 30 days prior to your check-in date. For your convenience, we accept credit cards (VISA, MasterCard and Discover), cash, checks, traveler’s checks and money orders.
5) Every reservation is subject to a Damage Waiver of $69 (non-refundable). This Damage Waiver is a mandatory, non-refundable fee providing insurance for up to $1000 of accidental/non-negligent damage to the property reported to MaineStay Vacations during the Renter's stay. Upon arrival at the premises, Renter shall check the cottage for cleanliness or damage and shall notify the Manager of any problems. Renter also agrees to report any and all accidental/non-negligent damage during stay. This damage waiver is in place of a security deposit. Should negligent/purposeful damage or accidental/non-negligent damage of over $1000 be found after Renter's stay, Renter will be held responsible for damage exceeding $1000 and Manager shall itemize these problems and contact Renter immediately. The charges will be withheld from the credit card on file and Manager will deliver a copy of the itemized list to Renter.
6) While you may cancel a confirmed reservation, there is no refund of monies paid unless the period can be re-booked. Should you have an emergency that prevents you from honoring the reservation, we will work with you to try to rent the same period to someone else. Please call or email us to discuss how this works and what, if any, refund of monies may be possible.
7) All rental properties are smoke-free. If there is evidence that smoking has occurred inside the premises, the security deposit will be “taken” (credit card reservations) or kept (all non-credit card reservations) in the amount necessary to remove all traces of smoke and odor.
8) We have a large selection of Pet Friendly properties. We must be informed about and approve the pet(s) in advance. Due to owners personal choice and family allergies there are some properties that pets are not allowed without exception. Please call or email us for additional information about pets and pet fees. In the event that pet is brought to a property without notifying MaineStay Vacations the entire security deposit will be forfeited. If your pet is approved to stay at one our our properties, all pets are required to have flea treatment before arrival. Due to the possible stress and anxiety, pets are not allowed to be left alone in properties unless they are crated. Pets are not allowed on furniture in any of our properties. According to local ordinance, dogs are not allowed to be off the premises without a leash. They can be off the leash on the property but must respond to voice command of its owner. Please respect our neighbors by not allowing your pet to go onto other properties. It is the responsibility of the person who reserved the property to insure that the pet waste has been removed before it is vacated.
9) Fireworks are not allowed at any of our properties at any time. Please refer to the Town of Harpswell ordinance page. http://www.harpswell.maine.gov/
10) All of our properties are on private wells and depending on the amount rain or where the property is, the water can have a discoloration or slight odor, therefore you may want to bring bottled water. For specific information regarding the drinking water at each property, please contact MaineStay Vacations.
What you need to bring on to our vacation properties:
- Drink and bottled water.
- We do not provide dish soap, sponges, inside trash bags, paper goods and toiletries. Some items are left by previous renters and can be used. We recommend you coming checking the property when you arrive and then you can grab these items at your local store.
- Linens (see description above) if you did not rent our service.
- Beach Towels
- For properties with Washer/Dryer and Dishwashers you will need to bring detergent. HE is preferred because of our septic systems. Typically there is some left from previous renters, you may want to wait until you get here to buy if needed.
- Toilet Paper and Paper Towels, we do give a complimentary roll at check in
- Beach Chairs- we do not require owners to provide these.
Propane tanks are filled at the beginning of the season by owners, if you empty one please refill. If you refill we will reimburse you for it. PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE EMPTY PROPANE TANKS FOR THE NEXT GUEST.
While you are here:
Sometimes the power goes out. This could be for many reasons, such as a squirrel got into a transformer, a tree blew down on wires, a lightning strike, or windy conditions. Regardless, there is no difference between when the power goes out back in your own home, or your vacation home when it comes to determining why. Calling us to inquire about the power outage will not bring the power back, but feel free to let us know. Please either refer to the Central Maine Power outage http://www.cmpco.com/ which lists town by town, street by street - all current outages in the State, or call them at 1-800-696-1000. We will have no additional information, or estimated time of repair. From our experience, we do know that CMP is very quick to attend to issues in the order of magnitude.